Every holiday brings along with its fun, frolic, enjoyment, presents and especially delicious foods to eat. Along with the celebrations come a lot of things that could damage the health of people especially to the teeth. But there are several ways by which you can not only enjoy the festive but also protect the teeth from severe harm.
Harmful Foods for teeth during Christmas
There is a difference why the Pediatric Dental Group warns to take care of the teeth of the children more than the adults. The adults can control their urges and the quantity of food consumed during Christmas. Whereas, the children love sweets very much so they are unable to control their cravings. So it is vital that parents should be aware of the 10 most important foods to avoid at Christmas.
- Christmas celebrations are incomplete without a candy This candy is in the shape of a cane to represent Sheppard’s hook with basic colors like white, green and red. But other shades can also be used. It is hard and has a lot of sugar making it dangerous for the teeth.
- Although fizzy drinks are not a traditional part of Christmas still they are consumed in large quantities. Soda drinks are the most damaging food of all because it contains the greatest amount of sugar in them. But other drinks like coffee, alcohol and juices can harm the teeth if your child drinks a lot.
- Apple is the healthiest fruit of all but if you combine caramel with it you get unhealthy The caramel can stick to the teeth and it is very difficult to take off. There are other varieties also available like candy, taffy, chocolate and jelly coated apples.
- This traditional drink dates back to the medieval ages which were made with sugar, cream, milk, egg yolks and whites. Many other variations are there in which alcohol is also poured in. All ingredients of eggnog are the ones that are harmful to the teeth and gums.
- It contains lots and lots of fruits, nuts and other dairy products that can really harm the enamel of the teeth. The food particles can stick on the teeth and cause bacteria to gather which ultimately results in decay.
- Children’s favorite drink during the winter and at Christmas is hot chocolate. Although it is delicious and thought to be healthy for the reason that it has milk in it. But the high quantity of cocoa makes it the enemy of the teeth.
- When you visit your child’s dentist; like Pediatric Dentist Tulsa; the professionals there will advise definitely not to give your child peanut brittles. These are sweets that are made entirely of melted sugar and peanuts.
- It is a deep pan dish made in various varieties but during Christmas, it is always cooked as a sweet dish. Children love casseroles so they must be avoided or a healthier version of it must be made.
- People make small gifts and take away to give to the children. The most obvious of all food items in them are different types of candies and sweets. Some of them are sweet and others sour; both of them are dangerous.
- You must be thinking as to how fruits can be harmful toyour child? Not all of them pose a threat; only the fruits with citric acid like oranges, lime, grapefruit and tangerines. Eating them in large quantities is bad.
Tips for protecting teeth
You can take the following measures by which you can make your children avoid or at least minimize the consumption of food dangerous for teeth. You can plan your Christmas celebrations according to these tips.
- If you want your child to enjoy the Christmas and at the same time save their teeth; then you can select to make traditional foods that are the least harmful for the teeth and gums. Or choose the healthy version of the ingredients.
- Develop a habit of your child to rinse the teeth with simple water. But it will be best that you make them use mouth wash. This is the best way to immediately take out the tiny food particles from the mouth.
- Children always avoid brushing teeth because it takes time. But if you make it a habit of brushing with the children then they will not feel left out.
- It is essential that you visit your child’s dentist before the start of the festival so that parents can take precautions and after to note what damages have been done.
- Arrange for various activities to distract the children from the sweets and food as much as possible. Keep them busy in games, stories and watching movies to keep them away from harmful foods.
- One best thing that you can do if you want to have the foods of Christmas but at the same time don’t want to ruin the teeth of the children; then you can use healthy ingredients for making the foods.
- The last thing that the Pediatric Dental Group suggests is to have oral hygiene habits. This includes brushing, flossing, using mouth wash and listening to the advice of pediatricians.